9 wounded in separate shootings across city
April 30, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Five separate shooting incidents across Chicago have left at least nine injured.
Near 71st and Jeffery Boulevard, a man brazenly opened fire and hit two people, an 18-year-old and a 20-year-old. Both were transported to Northwestern Hospital in critical condition.
Police were responding to that shooting when, a few minutes later, shots opened up across the street. A bullet grazed a 23-year-old, who refused treatment.
"We heard several shots from the inside. Had to be about 5 or 6 shots, then we saw people running. We had a lot of people running into the Currency Exchange to get out of the line of fire," said witness Cedric Holt. "About 20 to 25 minutes after the police was here, shots rang out again."
A little further south on 108th place, three people were also shot after a gunman walked out of a gangway and opened fire. A 36-year-old is in critical condition from that incident.
Ironically, police have just announced a significant decrease in homicides for the month of April. This marks the third straight month with a significant drop in homicides in the city of Chicago.
Despite all of the violence, none of the shootings on Tuesday so far have been fatal.
local, john garcia
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase
- Brief warm-up followed by snow
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Cops: Sober man testing vehicle breathalyzer causes crash
- Mundelein girl in court again after half-sister's murder
- Former suburban Dominick's to become Piggly Wiggly
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1
- Cocaine stash found in Aurora man's home
- 2 accused of videotaping abuse at nursing home
- Pi Day celebrated on 3.14 with Chicago specials
- Photos: Chicago police officer killed in crash
- SUV rolls off Jane Addams exit ramp in Rosemont
- abcnews: Cops Seek Bad Witch Who Stole Ruby Red...