Emanuel: Chicago casino revenue would go to schools
May 1, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Illinois Senate has approved a bill that would bring five new casinos to the state, including one in Chicago.
Mayor Rahm Emanuel is calling on state lawmakers to pass legislation that would bring a casino to Chicago.
Emanuel promises 100 percent of the revenue it generates for the city will go to improving schools.
The mayor's office released a video on YouTube on Wednesday showing what modernized schools would look like. He wants lawmakers to watch the video and know the money will help build new schools, computer labs and libraries.
"The way we get measured as a city is whether our children can live up to their potential," said Emanuel.
Critics worry that the bill will hurt existing casinos in Illinois as well as increase problem gambling. .
The legislation to add five more casinos in Illinois is pending in Springfield.
The plan, approved by senators 32-20 Wednesday, largely replicates two previous gambling expansion bills that lawmakers approved and Gov. Pat Quinn vetoed. Quinn signaled earlier this year that he would support a plan with stronger ethics.
Quinn, a Chicago Democrat, wanted more ethical oversight and has said he would like to see a plan to overhaul the state's massively underfunded pension system before a gambling expansion.
Lawmakers responded with legislation that includes a ban on campaign contributions from the industry.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Bitter cold expected to last through the weekend
- Nelson Mandela condolence books open, tribute held
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Northern Illinois Huskies fall to Bowling Green 47-27
- Schaumburg woman missing since October found
- Vigil held for Khaseem Greene's cousin killed in NJ
- Blackhawks championship ring offered in raffle
- Family: Boy, 6, suffers post-traumatic stress after shooting
- Girl, 13, charged in Olympia Fields fatal crash that killed boy
- Barrington leader trying to prevent next tanker tragedy
- 'Heart and Soul' - Saturday, Dec. 7, 6 p.m.
- Photos: Christmas Tree Ship arrives at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Made in America 2013: Gift Ideas