Four homes catch fire in Crystal Lake
May 1, 2013 (CRYSTAL LAKE, Ill.) (WLS) -- At least four houses caught fire Wednesday in a subdivision along the 3200-block of Carrington Drive in Crystal Lake.
The fire - at first - appeared harmless.
Within minutes, it was raging. Two neighborhood boys were long-boarding - one alerted the 18-year-old girl who was home alone inside the burning house.
"We thought it was maybe a leaf fire," said Justin, a neighborhood boy whose last name has been withheld at the request of his parents.
"We rang the doorbell and it was taking a while, so we started pounding the door," said Scott, another neighborhood boy who witnessed the fire. "She started screaming 'there is a fire, there is a fire.'"
She escaped as the other boy warned neighbors.
"We just told them 'there is a fire, fire's coming,'" said Justin.
A brick structure is all that's left of the home. Fire officials say four other homes are damaged.Firefighters said they had two challenges in this particular fire. The first challenge was that the neighborhood does not have fire hydrants, so they needed to truck in water. Secondly, the fire jumped to homes that have wood shake shingles.
Chris Olsen, Battalion Chief, Crystal Lake Fire Department Obviously wood burns very easily, and the embers were carried easily in the 25 MPH winds.
One resident, a grandmother watching her granddaughter, got a call from the child's father, who is a firefighter.
"Her father called me and told me there was a fire in the neighborhood....I looked out the window and saw the home across the street," said Marie Lesniak.
Her house was soon burned and damaged. Two firefighters were being treated for non-life-threatening injuries related to the fire.
local, stacey baca
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 48 min ago
- Woman falls on CTA tracks, rescued by bystanders 50 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago 1 min ago
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics 58 min ago
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores 46 min ago
- Man charged in Rogers Park stabbing 43 min ago
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- Free pizza Friday at new Lakeview restaurant 40 min ago
- Cousin of Mass. gov, from Rockford, among 8 getting commutations
- Photos: Target Credit Card Breach: What to do if...
- Pastor defrocked after officiating son's gay marriage
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape 43 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
48 min ago
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores
46 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
1 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos