Jaylen Price, 10, not intended target in shooting, CPD says
May 2, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A Chicago boy who was hit by a bullet during a shooting in the 900-block of North Waller was an innocent bystander, police say.
Police say 10-year old Jaylen Price was playing football with friends when he was caught in crossfire in the Austin neighborhood on the city's West Side. Police say an argument between two men escalated into gunfire around 8 p.m. on Wednesday.
"We didn't even see any argument. All we saw was shooting, and they ran this way, toward the kids," Katina Boyd said. The wounded boy came to her door.
"He's lying in my doorway and my oldest son came to the door with a towel he was just holding pressure on him," Boyd, neighbor, said. "If I could've took the bullet for him, I would've. Because it was just like it was one of my kids."
Price is hospitalized in good condition with a gunshot wound to his buttocks.
Coaches with the Chicago Jokers, a Pop Warner football team, said the victim plays for one of the younger leagues and is an up-and-coming athlete. "First of all he's an honor roll student, and he's a very good football player," said Eric McLendon, Price's football coach.
"It hurts me and makes me feel bad because I have grandchildren, so it's just, it's sad," Cleotha Buchanan, neighbor, said.
No one is in custody.
local, diane pathieu
- Grand Blue Line stop closed by water main break 37 min ago
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan 5 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery 5 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 8 min ago
- Gary shooting: 1 dead, at least 2 others injured 24 min ago
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student 35 min ago
- GOP candidates for IL treasurer square off in forum
- Mt. Prospect woman accuses neighbor of hate crime 56 min ago
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by CDOT crews
- Sarah Kustok defends father at murder trial
- Spring-like day followed by snow
- Larkin High School poms squad honored
- Chicago glows green ahead of St. Patrick's Day
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
8 min ago
- Grand Blue Line stop closed by water main...
37 min ago
- Suburban police to begin carrying Narcan
5 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane...
5 min ago