Brooks, Payton baseball teams meet for breakfast
May 3, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Baseball players from Walter Payton College Prep and Gwendolyn Brooks High School got together for breakfast after a game was canceled last week.
They met at Chicago Public Schools headquarters for pancakes on Friday morning. Students didn't stop to talk to media, but a few said it was "good" while boarding buses.
The late cancellation led to hard feelings as rumors circulated that the Payton team didn't feel safe traveling into the Roseland neighborhood on the city's Far South Side, where Brooks is located. Payton High School is on the city's Near North Side.
CPS CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett released a statement, "Today, players from the Payton and Brooks baseball teams came together as proud CPS student-athletes demonstrating the same strength and dignity they show in school and on the field every day. They are ready to move forward and focus on their studies and their season."
Principals at both schools had called the cancellation a "very unfortunate misunderstanding... and miscommunication." .
The two teams rescheduled their game for May 11.
local, jessica d'onofrio
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase
- Senate candidate criticized for trip before election
- Brief warmup followed by snow
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Orr Academy basketball player back in game after shooting
- Body found near Ind. river where woman last seen
- Digital assets becoming part of estate planning
- I-Team: Billionaire arrested on Chicago corruption charges
- Con men targeting Mount Greenwood senior citizens
- Former Will Co. jail inmate sues over alleged excessive force
- State Rep. race in SW suburbs heats up
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1
- abcnews: Chris Brown Arrested for Violating Probation