Brooks, Payton baseball teams meet for breakfast
May 3, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Baseball players from Walter Payton College Prep and Gwendolyn Brooks High School got together for breakfast after a game was canceled last week.
They met at Chicago Public Schools headquarters for pancakes on Friday morning. Students didn't stop to talk to media, but a few said it was "good" while boarding buses.
The late cancellation led to hard feelings as rumors circulated that the Payton team didn't feel safe traveling into the Roseland neighborhood on the city's Far South Side, where Brooks is located. Payton High School is on the city's Near North Side.
CPS CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett released a statement, "Today, players from the Payton and Brooks baseball teams came together as proud CPS student-athletes demonstrating the same strength and dignity they show in school and on the field every day. They are ready to move forward and focus on their studies and their season."
Principals at both schools had called the cancellation a "very unfortunate misunderstanding... and miscommunication." .
The two teams rescheduled their game for May 11.
local, jessica d'onofrio
- Chicago temps to plunge as arctic air moves in
- Concert in Bloomington benefits tornado victims
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 3 in custody in Homewood bank robbery
- Man allegedly assaulted first responders in River North
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill
- Huge fire hydrants auctioned to benefit 100 Club
- 911 dispatchers recall Washington IL tornado
- Midlothian officer faces excessive force charges
- Missing woman's body found in Libertyville
- Soul Children give Chicago show before Europe tour
- Photos: Toddler falls meeting Obama puppy 'Sunny'
- abcnews: Meet Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot