Brooks, Payton baseball teams meet for breakfast
May 3, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Baseball players from Walter Payton College Prep and Gwendolyn Brooks High School got together for breakfast after a game was canceled last week.
They met at Chicago Public Schools headquarters for pancakes on Friday morning. Students didn't stop to talk to media, but a few said it was "good" while boarding buses.
The late cancellation led to hard feelings as rumors circulated that the Payton team didn't feel safe traveling into the Roseland neighborhood on the city's Far South Side, where Brooks is located. Payton High School is on the city's Near North Side.
CPS CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett released a statement, "Today, players from the Payton and Brooks baseball teams came together as proud CPS student-athletes demonstrating the same strength and dignity they show in school and on the field every day. They are ready to move forward and focus on their studies and their season."
Principals at both schools had called the cancellation a "very unfortunate misunderstanding... and miscommunication." .
The two teams rescheduled their game for May 11.
local, jessica d'onofrio
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 54 min ago
- Carl Sandburg H.S. on 'soft lockdown'
- Bucktown water main break gushes for hours 58 min ago
- Cubs unveil plans for Wrigley's 100th birthday
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC
- Amber Creek murder suspect appears at preliminary hearing
- Resurfacing project begins to fill potholes
- Gurnee man sentenced in sex assaults of 2 kids
- Huntley teen charged, allegedly crashed SUV into home
- Truck driver who allegedly molested 11 kids sentenced
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- ABC 7 To Go, April 16, 2014
30 min ago
- 'The Chew'?s Carla Hall
48 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos