Brooks, Payton baseball teams meet for breakfast
May 3, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Baseball players from Walter Payton College Prep and Gwendolyn Brooks High School got together for breakfast after a game was canceled last week.
They met at Chicago Public Schools headquarters for pancakes on Friday morning. Students didn't stop to talk to media, but a few said it was "good" while boarding buses.
The late cancellation led to hard feelings as rumors circulated that the Payton team didn't feel safe traveling into the Roseland neighborhood on the city's Far South Side, where Brooks is located. Payton High School is on the city's Near North Side.
CPS CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett released a statement, "Today, players from the Payton and Brooks baseball teams came together as proud CPS student-athletes demonstrating the same strength and dignity they show in school and on the field every day. They are ready to move forward and focus on their studies and their season."
Principals at both schools had called the cancellation a "very unfortunate misunderstanding... and miscommunication." .
The two teams rescheduled their game for May 11.
local, jessica d'onofrio
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 7 dead, 22 hurt since Friday night
- Bad Wolf Coffee offers French caneles
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago man killed in Salt Lake City stabbing
- Man ID'd after fatal crash on Ryan-Skyway ramp
- Woman wanted for Wicker Park bank robbery
- BMO Harris Bank branch in Austin robbed
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- YMCA in Naperville gears up for 'Healthy Kids Day'
- Chris Farley's brother seeks Madison aldermanic seat
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home