Naperville man accused of driving 125 mph during a drunken street race
May 3, 2013 (NAPERVILLE, Ill.) -- A man from west suburban Naperville is free on bond and awaiting trial, after he allegedly drove his car at a speed of 125 mph during a drunken street race.
Naperville police said the driver of the other vehicle escaped arrest.
Bryan D. Schmitt, 31, lives on the 2100 block of Countryside Circle in the Old Farm neighborhood. He faces trial on two charges of driving under the influence of alcohol and one count each of speeding 40 mph or more over the statutory limit and failure to signal when turning, according to records on file in DuPage County Circuit Court in Wheaton.
Written police reports indicated Schmitt was arrested about 10:36 p.m. April 24 near 87th Street and Plainfield-Naperville Road. That intersection borders the Springbrook Prairie Forest Preserve.
Police Sgt. Lou Cammiso on Thursday confirmed an officer on routine patrol observed Schmitt driving a gray, 2010 Nissan 37OZ "at 125 mph, and appeared to be racing an unidentified Mustang." The officer "stopped Schmitt, and the Mustang got away," Cammiso said in an e-mail.
"Schmitt did not admit to drag racing, but the officer detected alcohol usage" on his part and charged him with drunken driving and the other offenses, Cammiso said.
The speed limit near 87th Street and Plainfield-Naperville Road is posted at 45 mph.
An examination of court documents indicated Schmitt's only prior brush with the law involved an August 2000 ticket for driving without insurance in Will County.
Schmitt is scheduled to appear May 28 in court in the drunken driving and speeding case.
- Chicago temps to plunge as arctic air moves in 58 min ago
- Concert in Bloomington benefits tornado victims
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 3 in custody in Homewood bank robbery
- Man allegedly assaulted first responders in River North
- Stagg High School students, teacher fall ill
- Huge fire hydrants auctioned to benefit 100 Club 55 min ago
- 911 dispatchers recall Washington IL tornado
- Missing woman's body found in Libertyville
- Illinois pension battle brewing after law passes
- Soul Children give Chicago show before Europe tour 8 min ago
- Photos: Toddler falls meeting Obama puppy 'Sunny'
- abcnews: Meet Wonder Woman: Gal Gadot