City officials reviewing Safe Passage plan for students
May 3, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The much-anticipated list of school closures and consolidations is scheduled to be released on Monday by Chicago Public Schools officials.
CPS officials continue to push their plan that offers students from closed schools Safe Passage to their new school.
Pre-schoolers at Ross Elementary School made the walk across the street Friday morning. Next year when they are in kindergarten they and the others will have a longer walk to their new school. Ross is among the Chicago Public Schools scheduled to close.
Jeremiyah Vasquez says safety issues have him considering other options for his son. He's considering home-schooling.
Friday, CPS CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett and Chicago's Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy walked the route Ross students may take. They are considering what staff and other issues can be addressed for Safe Passage for students.
One thing that caught the attention of school and police officials was an abandoned building, the same building thieves gained access to steal the copper from the Animal Welfare League when they dismantled their air conditioning in the middle of summer.
With the attention on Safe Passage, city officials are considering ways to make the vacant building more secure or get rid of it all together.
There is also busy 63rd Street on the way to Dulles that may require more personnel.
CPS will share proposed routes with parents in the next week and a half. Then the administration says those plans will be refined after getting input from parents.
local, leah hope
- Riverdale body ID'd as Amierah Roberson, 1, missing from Chicago's South Side 1 min ago
- Murder warrant issued for LSD standoff suspect 2 min ago
- St. Patrick's Day traditions decoded
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- NCAA Tournament 2014 bracket matchups set
- Toddler reported missing on South Side
- Unclaimed items auctioned off by treasurer's office
- Gary Bettenhausen, race car driver, dead at 72 43 min ago
- Kevin Trudeau to be sentenced in federal court
- Train incident stops Metra at Grayslake during morning commute
- Semi rolls over at I-80 in Country Club Hills
- NIT 2014 bracket puts Illini as No. 2 seed
- Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge seeks perfect NCAA guesses
- St. Patrick's Day 2014 parades proceed amid tension over gays
- Riverdale body ID'd as Amierah Roberson, 1,...
1 min ago