Police chase driver for 90 miles from Elgin to Wisconsin
May 4, 2013 (ELGIN, Ill.) (WLS) -- Police say they chased a driver for more than 90 miles from suburban Elgin all the way into Wisconsin.
Elgin officials say the high-speed chase began before 2:45 a.m. Saturday morning, when they were responding to a burglary in progress at the Sam's Club at 1000 S. Randall Road.
Two male suspects were seen entering a pickup truck in an apparent effort to flee the scene, according to police.
The vehicle was driven away while one officer was attempting to gain physical control of the passenger, who was partially in the vehicle. The officer was knocked out of the truck and onto the ground, and the vehicle then struck a second officer as well as an Elgin squad car, according to officials.
The suspects then sped off while authorities chased the vehicle. The pursuit began in Elgin, into unincorporated Kane County, then to Chicago and north into Wisconsin.
Eventually, the suspects were taken into custody in Racine County by the Wisconsin State Highway Patrol.
"We take pursuits very seriously, depending on the crime committed," said Lt. Dan O'Shea, Elgin Police Department. "Obviously, if an individual is willing to run over police officers that takes it to another level and we don't want those individuals being a greater risk to the community."
Both of the injured officers were treated and released from an area hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
The suspects are being held in Wisconsin until charges can be filed, according to authorities.
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- Cragin on alert after girl beaten, sexually assaulted
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- ADM to move headquarters to Chicago
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station 7 min ago
- Chicago FOP president suspended 37 min ago
- CTA Red Line shooting injures man at Argyle
- Aurora house fire injures 3; 4 dogs escape safe 12 min ago
- Boy, 16, critically wounded in Little Village shooting
- Report: CPS headquarters could move
- Rodman returns to N. Korea on basketball diplomacy trip
- abcnews: Pope's Christmas Message: Serve The Poor