Runners honor fallen Chicago police officers
May 4, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- More than 560 Chicago police officers have lost their lives in the line of duty and Saturday they were honored in the 9th annual Chicago Police Memorial Foundation Run to Remember.
Thousands of runners taking part in an event supporting Chicago police officers and their families.
"It's a fun event and it's for a good cause," said runner Brian Jurgil.
The event supports families like Officer Jamie Stephan's.
"It's just comforting to know that if anything did happen these guys would all be taken care of," Stephan said.
The "Run to Remember" honors fallen or badly injured Chicago police officers and helps raise money for the Chicago Police Memorial Foundation, which provides assistance to the families of the officers.
"It shows that we don't forget we say those words as part of our motto but we mean it when all of these people come out," said the foundation's executive director Phil Cline.
The foundation helped Denise Domagala's family. When her husband Bernie was shot in the head 25 years ago their lives forever changed.
"I can't believe this marks the 25th year since Bernie's injury, but look how far we've all come. It's amazing," Domagala said.
With a record turnout of about 6,000 runners this year, the support and appreciation is not hard to find.
"It's touching for us cause they line the last 200 yards with pictures of police officers that were killed in the line of duty, so it gives us a little remembrance as we're coming through and we know exactly what we're doing the job for," said CPD Officer Paul Zogg.
local, diane pathieu
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Wicker Park water main break gushes for hours
- Gurnee man sentenced in sex assaults of 2 kids
- Huntley teen charged, allegedly crashed SUV into home
- Truck driver who allegedly molested 11 kids sentenced
- Suit: Wrestler dating ex pushed man down stairs at custody...
- I-Team: Illinois Poison Center hotline's cry for help
- Boston bombing remembered 1 year later
- Photos: Easter traditions explained 56 min ago
- Photos: Adorable meerkats befriend photographer
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77
54 min ago