Bill Clinton in Chicago to receive Lincoln Leadership Prize
May 4, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A standing ovation welcomed former President Bill Clinton to the stage of the Hilton Chicago Saturday night.
"I basically don't think former presidents should get awards, because the job itself was honor enough, but I am profoundly honored by this," Clinton said.
The nation's 42nd president was awarded the 2013 Lincoln Leadership Prize. Previous honorees include former Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor and Archbishop Desmond Tutu. But Clinton is the first U.S. President to receive the award.
"He truly is a person in the great legacy of Abraham Lincoln ," said Governor Pat Quinn.
Quinn and Senator Dick Durbin were among those present at Saturday night's event. But the surprise guest of the evening turned out to be none other than Hillary Clinton.
"The person most responsible for making me president is here. The only American ever to be Secretary of State, a United States Senator and First Lady, so I want to thank Hilary and ask her to stand up," Bill Clinton said.
In his remarks the president spoke at length about the leadership skills that defined Abraham Lincoln, the inevitable comparison to politics today.
"He had one advantage that Obama doesn't have today which is that very few people ever wanted to make a career in Congress," Clinton said.
In typical Clinton style, the former president spoke for nearly twice as long as he was expected to. Not that anyone here seemed to mind.
local, michelle gallardo
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57 36 min ago
- HS basketball player shines despite disabilty
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
- Teacher's aide posed as teen to meet girls online
- CTA Green Line briefly interrupted 29 min ago
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend 56 min ago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Dog rescue underway at Lake Michigan
- Foreign military mission barred from Crimea
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57
36 min ago
- Charles "Peanut" Tillman 5k Walk/ Run
49 min ago