Wells Street Bridge to reopen to CTA trains Monday morning
May 5, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- It was a busy Sunday night as construction work wrapped up on Chicago's Wells Street Bridge. Crews were trying to get the project done in time for Monday morning's commute.
CTA trains have not been able to cross the river for the past nine days.
A helicopter hovered over the Merchandise Mart most of Sunday, shuttling materials back and forth for the track replacement that, along with Wells Street Bridge construction, has frustrated elevated train users for the last several days.
Sunday evening the work is all but complete. After nine days and nights of non-stop construction the Wells Street Bridge will reopen to elevated train traffic just in time for the morning commute.
"Is it over?" asked Brown Line user Alex Plotkin. "I didn't know when it was over. There you go, I can sleep in a little bit longer."
For the second time in as many months, Brown and Purple Line users have had to deal with shuttle buses and re-routes in order to get into and out of the Loop. At the end of its useful life, the 90-year old bridge had to have both its north and south end leaves replaced.
While tiring, CTA commuters we spoke to appreciate the upgrades.
"It's been a fair trade," said Brown Line user Frank Smith. "Apparently when they are finished it will roll a whole lot faster."
While Brown and Purple Line users can now breathe a sigh of relief, the fun is about to start for the Red Line. On May 19, the nine southernmost stations will close for approximately five months for a full reconstruction of the tracks.
local, michelle gallardo
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute 39 min ago
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder
- I-Team: Illinois state spy secret revealed
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Julius Peppers contract terminated by Chicago Bears
- Son goes on trial in man's beating, stabbing death
- 3 people shot in car at 76th, Stony Island
- Retired CPD sergeant hospitalized after East Side shooting
- Appeals court accepts transcripts of Blago FBI wiretaps
- Repairs to city's aging sewer, water lines under way
- MH370, missing Malaysia Airlines plane, gone 4 days 49 min ago
- San Francisco fire at Mission Bay construction site contained
- Man writes own, hilarious obituary 28 min ago
- abcnews: Obama Shops At The Gap
- Chicago Weather: Snow creates messy commute
39 min ago