Police shoot, kill teen allegedly firing at pedestrians
May 5, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago police say they shot and killed a teenager who was firing at pedestrians Sunday.
It happened in Lawndale on the West Side in the 1200-block of S. Independence Blvd.
Officers say the boy was shooting from a bicycle.
They say when they pursued, he shot at them, and they returned fire killing him.
According to police, the boy has been identified as Tywon Jones, 16. He was prounounced dead at Mt. Sinai Hospital at 4:51 p.m. Sunday.
Some residents in the area say police shot the boy in the back.
Police say a handgun was recovered at the scene.
No innocent bystanders were hit by the gunfire.
- Freezing rain, snow spreads across NW suburbs
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons
- 400 tuba players perform at Palmer House Hilton
- Families of murdered children gather at St. Sabina
- Holiday posada offers health insurance help in Pilsen
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking