Bomb threat found on Lemont school wall
May 6, 2013 (LEMONT, Ill.) (WLS) -- A bomb threat message was found on an Oakwood School exterior wall Sunday in the southwest suburbs.
District 113A received information from the Lemont Police Department that a bomb threat indicating Oakwood School will be bombed Tuesday.
Lemont police will be at Oakwood Monday and Tuesday mornings as the investigation continues. A sweep of the building will be conducted before staff and students enter the building.
The school says it may check bags that are brought into the school. But the school says police have determined there is no credible threat to students or staff and recommends following the regular schedule.
River Valley School, which shares the same campus, will take the same precautionary measures though it was not threatened.
Bomb squad dogs swept the school Monday.
"Everything went smoothly. it's just a safety precaution, and we're good to go and ready to have the kids start the day right as usual," said Catherine Slee, Oakwood principal.
"I can't release the exact wording because if we are able to prosecute somebody, we want to keep that to ourselves. But it did mention a bomb, and it did mention the school here in Oakwood," said Lemont Police Chief Kevin Shaughnessy.
Some parents thought about not bringing their kids to school, but decided they felt safe.
"I heard about it yesterday, got an email from the school, and we were nervous about it," said Joel LaFevers, parent.
"A little scared, we talked to her this morning, actually, and she's like, well, what's a threat? We had to explain it to her a little bit," said Carolin Frusher, parent.
Just under 700 kids go to Oakwood.
If the culprit is a child, police say they will deal with that child as a juvenile, and also their parents might be responsible for the costs of the police response.
local, jessica d'onofrio
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase
- Brief warm-up followed by snow
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Cops: Sober man testing vehicle breathalyzer causes crash 45 min ago
- Mundelein girl in court again after half-sister's murder
- Former suburban Dominick's to become Piggly Wiggly 54 min ago
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1 48 min ago
- Cocaine stash found in Aurora man's home
- 2 accused of videotaping abuse at nursing home 23 min ago
- Pi Day celebrated on 3.14 with Chicago specials
- Photos: Chicago police officer killed in crash
- SUV rolls off Jane Addams exit ramp in Rosemont
- abcnews: Cops Seek Bad Witch Who Stole Ruby Red...
- John Hancock observatory to Tilt
49 min ago