Bomb threat found on Lemont school wall
May 6, 2013 (LEMONT, Ill.) (WLS) -- A bomb threat message was found on an Oakwood School exterior wall Sunday in the southwest suburbs.
District 113A received information from the Lemont Police Department that a bomb threat indicating Oakwood School will be bombed Tuesday.
Lemont police will be at Oakwood Monday and Tuesday mornings as the investigation continues. A sweep of the building will be conducted before staff and students enter the building.
The school says it may check bags that are brought into the school. But the school says police have determined there is no credible threat to students or staff and recommends following the regular schedule.
River Valley School, which shares the same campus, will take the same precautionary measures though it was not threatened.
Bomb squad dogs swept the school Monday.
"Everything went smoothly. it's just a safety precaution, and we're good to go and ready to have the kids start the day right as usual," said Catherine Slee, Oakwood principal.
"I can't release the exact wording because if we are able to prosecute somebody, we want to keep that to ourselves. But it did mention a bomb, and it did mention the school here in Oakwood," said Lemont Police Chief Kevin Shaughnessy.
Some parents thought about not bringing their kids to school, but decided they felt safe.
"I heard about it yesterday, got an email from the school, and we were nervous about it," said Joel LaFevers, parent.
"A little scared, we talked to her this morning, actually, and she's like, well, what's a threat? We had to explain it to her a little bit," said Carolin Frusher, parent.
Just under 700 kids go to Oakwood.
If the culprit is a child, police say they will deal with that child as a juvenile, and also their parents might be responsible for the costs of the police response.
local, jessica d'onofrio
- Girl sexually assaulted near Safe Passage route
- 30 dogs removed from North Chicago apartment
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 1-month anniversary of Midwest tornadoes outbreak
- ADM to open headquarters in Chicago, sources say
- Police search for suspect in Valparaiso armed robberies
- Plane lands at O'Hare after reporting mechanical problem
- Woman, 30, dead in Chicago River fall ID'd
- Reno hospital shooting on campus kills 2, including gunman
- 2 former players allege abuse during Maine West hazing trial
- Dart: Concealed carry approval process flawed
- Salvation Army feeds families, seniors in need in Chicago
- abcnews: Dad, Daughter Recreate Wedding Photos