Surveillance video, sketch released in Rogers Park sex assault near Loyola campus
May 7, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Surveillance video shows a man wanted in connection with the sexual assault of a woman in Rogers Park.
Officials also released a sketch of the offender, who is described as in his 40s, about 5'8" and 300 pounds with a medium complexion and short, black hair.
Police say the man attacked a woman as she was waiting at a CTA bus stop in the 6300-block of North Clark around 2p.m. on Thursday, May 2. Officials say the offender sat down next to the woman, grabbed her by the throat and forced her into a nearby alley where he sexually assaulted the victim.
The offender also took the woman's cell phone and credit card, police said.
"It's a tight community, everybody takes care of everybody else," Chicago Police Officer Bill Clancy said.
A surveillance camera is believed to have caught the offender and woman walking past a nearby store.
"To me it just looks like they're just walking or something, but I'm glad we've got the video from the store, can help the community," Moiz Khan, business owner, said.
"I'm sick standing here. There are so many people, so many businesses," the victim's mother said earlier this week.
The victim is a former student at nearby Loyola University where the campus officers warn students to be cautious.
"We try and encourage people to trust their gut. If you don't feel safe, you're not safe& unfortunately we have to put that message out there," Tim Cunningham, Loyola's student community liaison officer, said.
local, leah hope
- Spring-like day followed by snow 1 min ago
- Firefight causes flooding in Irving Park homes
- Malaysia Airlines plane, Flight MH370, still missing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Alvarez, Kirk call to end online sex trafficking 13 min ago
- Officer hit in face by bullet fragment released
- Photos: Semi overturns, dumps beads on Tri-State
- Photos: Irving Park Fire
- Photos: Malaysia Airlines plane MH370 missing
- H.S. wrestling coach accused of sex with student
- Man struck by cars in Lincolnwood dies, police say
- Semi crash spills plastic beads, slows Tri-State
- Metra train strikes pedestrian in New Lenox
- Chicago electric bills to rise; city claims could've been worse
- Chicago pothole 'strike teams,' formed by...
3 min ago
- Alvarez, Kirk call to end online sex...
13 min ago