Hope is renewed for families of missing people in Chicago area
May 7, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The discovery of the three Cleveland women who had been missing for 10 years has thrilled their families, law enforcement officials and the community.
Along with experiencing the joy of finally being home, they are dealing with emotional scars from being in captivity, according to Stephanie Love-Patterson, the Associate Director for Connections for Abused Women and Children, a social service organization.
"One of the things that we know about women who have experienced extreme levels of trauma as these young girls is that their emotions span the spectrum and they can run their course through the period of a day," Love-Patterson said.
The case has captured the nation's attention and the attention of local families with loved ones who are still missing. Sisters Diamond and Tionda Bradley were last seen at their South Side home in 2001 before they disappeared. Their relatives are struggling to hold on to hope they will be found.
"You want to believe they're still alive then there's that small part of you that thinks they may no longer be alive," the girls' great-aunt Shelia Bradley-Smith said. "But then you get a story like this that just renews your energy."
John Spira went missing six years ago in West Chicago. His family has been trying to keep a spotlight on the case and hoping to generate new leads.
"When you don't know why they left and how they left and what they went through, it's torturous," Spira's sister Stephanie McNeil said.
Yasmin Acree was 15 when she disappeared from her North Austin home five years ago.
Her cousin, Reverend Ira Acree, says he's been trying to keep his family united and focused on finding her. He says all they can do is pray and try to keep communicating with her.
"Keep being hopeful. Be vigilant and do not quit," Ira Acree said.
local, karen jordan
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014 30 min ago
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer 38 min ago
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 15 min ago
- Big Wheel Race in West Dundee 47 min ago
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate 49 min ago
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
15 min ago
- St. Patrick's Day celebrations continue
42 min ago
- Grab a pint or legendary pizza in Beverly
37 min ago
- Big Wheel Race in West Dundee
47 min ago