Cubs Chairman Tom Ricketts: Wrigley renovations will help Lakeview
May 7, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chairman Tom Ricketts is trying to sell the Cubs' $500 million plan to renovate Wrigley Field to the team's Lakeview neighbors.
Ricketts said he will keep peddling his plan until the city signs off on his $500 million Wrigley renovation and neighborhood redevelopment project. His selling point Tuesday? How Lakeview businesses will benefit.
"Our privately funded plan to save Wrigley will grow that economic annual by more than $94 million . . . and create 800 construction jobs," Ricketts said.
But it's not just the businesses around Wrigley that will see the boost. Some as far as a mile away are convinced they will experience a trickle down affect.
"I think the boost for us is going to be the remote parking and people realize there's easier access away from the ballpark," Joe Kenny, Finley Dunnes Tavern, said.
Some small Lakeview hotels are supporting the project even though the Wrigley plan includes a boutique hotel on the northwest corner of Clark and Addison.
"What they are building is a very upscale hotel, it's going to drive more people to it, and get more people familiar with our area," Keith Scott, Broughton Hotels, said.
Many hope the project will make Lakeview a tourist destination. The Lakeview Chamber of Commerce says it's hard not to like plan that uses private money to generate millions of dollars for the community. However, the chamber does have concerns about the Cubs' plan to close off Sheffield for family friendly events.
"Is there an opportunity for local businesses to participate in that or is it really just an extension of the private enterprise in the public way. That's really our only concern," Heather Way, Lakeview Chamber of Commerce, said.
wrigley field renovation, local
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington Heights standoff 28 min ago
- Rod Blagojevich appeal, likely last chance, goes before judges 35 min ago
- Man, 31, pulled from Chicago River near lake 23 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Body of missing Lansing man, 40, found in ditch
- Winter weather advisories issued as snow follows cold 2 min ago
- Ex-teacher Amber Kraus pleads not guilty to student sex assault 26 min ago
- Admitted Chicago terrorist's 'hate mail'
- Mother charged in death of 7-month-old baby
- Man charged after boy allegedly brings gun to Elgin school
- Mariano's holds job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Kanye West likens job to police work; Ohio chief disagrees
- Affluenza defense nets Ethan Couch probation
- abcnews: More Teens Sought in Mansion Party
- 7 in :77
31 min ago
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington...
28 min ago
- Rod Blagojevich appeal, likely last chance,...
35 min ago