Cicero Cubs? Chicago suburb pitches move to Ricketts
May 7, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Free land, more night games and expanded advertising options. That's the deal offered to Chicago Cubs owner Tom Ricketts. The catch? The team would have to move to Cicero.
Cicero Town President Larry Dominick wrote Ricketts a letter with the proposal on Tuesday. It comes as the Cubs are trying to sell a $500 million renovation plan for Wrigley Field to their Lakeview neighbors.
Dominick, a lifelong Cubs fan who has two tattoos to prove it, said his town can offer something new -- a "modern stadium with all the assets to make it one of the country's best baseball parks."
"They could play every night, start at midnight, I wouldn't care," Dominick said.
Dominick believes Wrigley Field is what's holding the Cubs back from winning the World Series. The Cubs have not won that title in more than 104 years.
"Cicero is willing to give the Rickett's family what they need to make the Cubs World Series contenders every year, not just once in a century," Dominick said in a statement.
Just west of Chicago, Dominick said Cicero has around 60 acres of available land that would be a good fit for a ballpark. Also in the offer - 81 night games, parking and lots of advertising space.
"A new, unrestricted jumbo-tron and advertising boards would bring in new revenues for the team," Dominick said. "The team could keep the Chicago name and sell stadium naming-rights."
At this point, the Chicago Cubs have no interested in moving out of the Friendly Confines.
"It's great to hear all the other cities and municipalities make sales pitches," Julian Green, Chicago Cubs spokesperson, said. "But this is clear- we made a commitment to be here in Chicago."
Most fans agree.
"It's wrong. They belong right here in Chicago," Christine Hergenrother, Cubs fan, said.
wrigley field renovation, local
- Fire destroys Gary church, vacant building 36 min ago
- Fast-food workers protest low wages
- Video: Ditka Talks: Thursday @ 10 PM
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- CTA Blue Line to receive $492M investment 24 min ago
- Richard Gillman gets 4 years in prison, 2 years of probation in... 10 min ago
- 2 sex assault attempts reported in Humboldt Park 29 min ago
- Coyote interrupts morning rush on I-55 3 min ago
- Homeowner tied up during La Grange Park robbery 20 min ago
- 2 men charged with felony mail theft 56 min ago
- Uptown fire forces residents out of apartments 7 min ago
- Woman, 23, missing from Lincoln Square
- 2 men arrested on drug charges
- Chicago Bears visit Washington IL as tornado communities brace...
- Coyote interrupts morning rush on I-55
3 min ago
- Fire destroys Gary church, vacant building
36 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos