CPS student, 16, dies of meningitis; Lindblom closed
May 8, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A 16-year-old Chicago high school student has died from a non-contagious form of bacterial meningitis.
Chicago Public Schools CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett says the Lindblom Math & Science Academy student died Monday. She says the unidentified student was found dead at home by a parent.
Byrd-Bennett says there is no immediate health risk to Lindblom students or staff. However, she says the school district has decided to close the school Wednesday as a precautionary measure. The school will be cleaned while closed.
Robo-calls will be made to parents of Lindblom students advising them of the school's closing. They also will be advised to seek medical attention if their child develops a sudden onset of fever, headache or stiff neck. Other symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, increased sensitivity to light and confusion.
Savon Smith, 16, was found dead at home on Monday morning by his mother. She said it all started with a headache Saturday.
"He wasn't really eating, and then he slept most of the day Sunday, still not feeling well. He didn't go to church. He just wasn't feeling well. And I woke him up for school Monday morning, and he wouldn't wake up," said mother Nicole Smith.
"We were deeply saddened to learn that a 16-year-old student at Lindblom Math & Science Academy High School passed away yesterday from a non-contagious form of bacterial meningitis. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family at this difficult time. There is no immediate health risk to students or staff, but out of an abundance of caution we decided to close the school tomorrow," Byrd-Bennett said in a Tuesday statement.
There were no other known or reported cases of meningitis at Lindblom at this time.
Smith says her son had only a headache and no other symptoms and was strong, healthy and active in the martial arts and soccer teams.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Riverdale body ID'd as Amierah Roberson, 1, missing from Chicago's South Side 1 min ago
- Murder warrant issued for LSD standoff suspect 2 min ago
- St. Patrick's Day traditions decoded
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- NCAA Tournament 2014 bracket matchups set
- Toddler reported missing on South Side
- Unclaimed items auctioned off by treasurer's office
- Gary Bettenhausen, race car driver, dead at 72 43 min ago
- Kevin Trudeau to be sentenced in federal court
- Train incident stops Metra at Grayslake during morning commute
- Semi rolls over at I-80 in Country Club Hills
- NIT 2014 bracket puts Illini as No. 2 seed
- Billion Dollar Bracket Challenge seeks perfect NCAA guesses
- St. Patrick's Day 2014 parades proceed amid tension over gays
- Riverdale body ID'd as Amierah Roberson, 1,...
1 min ago