Burnham chase ends in crash, woman critical
May 9, 2013 (BURNHAM, Ill.) (WLS) -- Burnham police confirm their officers were involved in an overnight chase that ended in a crash at 4000 E. 134th St. in Chicago.
The female driver was reportedly speeding when she lost control and struck several concrete barriers just before 3:30 a.m.
No Burnham police officers were hurt. Emergency crews responded to the pin-in crash, and the driver was transported in critical condition to Christ Hospital in Oak Lawn with leg injuries.
It's unclear why police initiated the chase and why the driver was trying to evade the officers.
The car had Indiana plates and a baby seat in the back, but the driver was alone.
"I looked out the window and I heard the siren and seen a squad car and got out here and I seen the car wedged down here on the end and an officer was assisting the vehicle," said a man who lives in a trailer outside the crash site.
local, diane pathieu
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet 55 min ago
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Jennifer Lawrence's Oscars Date Tells All