Senator Durbin to tour Marseilles flood damage
May 10, 2013 (MARSAILLES, Ill.) (WLS) -- Senator Dick Durbin will get a firsthand look at the damage left behind by the historic flooding last month.
Durbin is visiting Marseilles Friday afternoon to look at recovery efforts there.
About 500 buildings were damaged in last month's flooding.
The elementary school is still closed.
Students are attending classes in a church and an old high school.
Durbin's visit comes as Governor Quinn asks President Obama to declare 11 counties disaster areas. That includes Cook, DeKalb, Lake and McHenry.
If the president agrees federal grants and low-interest loans would be available to repair flood damage.
- 2 teens found dead in South Side apartment 7 min ago
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case 4 min ago
- Ashland bridge moved to new location on Western Avenue
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen dead after chase, shooting end in West Town crash 21 min ago
- Firefighters battle blaze in West Garfield Park
- Man appears in court with part of ear bitten off
- SUV crashes into Villa Park house
- 1 dead, 4 hurt in crash on transition ramp on freeway
- Anti-violence Easter march held in South Chicago 53 min ago
- Teens help clean up Chicago's beaches
- Missing boy's body found off Mass. highway
- Photos: Iran killer spared just before hanging
- abcnews: Twins Attack Carjacker With Fists, Toy Snake