Spring Grove woman falls under van, dies trying to go to hospital with husband
May 10, 2013 (SPRING GROVE, Ill.) (WLS) -- An 83-year-old woman who was attempting to follow an ambulance transporting her husband slipped and fell under her van and died early Friday in the northwest suburbs.
Before she fell, paramedics were responding to a medical emergency at the woman's home in the 1400-block of Main Street in Spring Grove and found a man in need of hospitalization, according to a release from the McHenry County Sheriff's office.
The man's wife, June A. Severs, wanted to follow the ambulance to the hospital and backed her 2010 Dodge van out of the garage and into the driveway to turn around, police said.
For some reason, the elderly woman then stopped the van and got out of the vehicle without putting the van in park, police said. Severs slipped on the wet pavement and fell under the van, which rolled backwards over her.
June Severs was taken to Centegra Hospital -- McHenry, where she was declared dead, police said.
Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- 2 officers struck by car in West Side alley
- Gacy investigation helps ID bones of man missing since 1978
- Van driver dies in fiery CTA bus crash, ID'd as Eric West, Jr.
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- BNSF Metra trains stopped between Cicero, Western 12 min ago
- Loyola: Student Lucas Fleisher found OK 30 min ago
- Carla Oglesby, ex-Todd Stroger aide, gets 6.5 years
- Chase preceded Roseland bus stop crash that injured 5
- Iceberg twice size of Atlanta drifts away from Antarctica 43 min ago
- Man arrested after Kilbourn Park standoff with kids, dog
- Maywood man charged in fatal West Side hit-and-run
- Park Ridge pole crash causes power outage
- Tractor stolen from Beecher exotic-animal shelter
- 1957 murder convict Jack McCullough files appeal
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos