CPS teachers send Byrd-Bennett Mother's Day card
May 10, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- As Mother's Day approaches some mothers of Chicago Public School teachers are appealing to the district's CEO to stop the pending school closures.
The group gathered at school board headquarters this afternoon to deliver a Mother's Day card to Barbara Byrd-Bennett.
The card included a list of how the closings will negatively affect their families and neighborhood.
Bennett released a statement saying in part, "The district is working to safely move children to higher performing schools to better fit their academic needs."
- Snow, bitter cold to make for messy commute
- Office Depot moving OfficeMax HQ from Naperville to FL
- School, Emergency Closings
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Crews battle large fire in unoccupied Skokie building
- Groupon founder to donate half his wealth to charity
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn for $344M
- Store owner shoots, kills alleged robber on SE Side
- Video released of multi-vehicle pile-up near Milwaukee
- Public hearing discusses Ashland bus-only lane
- Lake Zurich lockdowns lifted after reported student with weapons
- Derrick Smith wants case thrown out for being too 'vague'
- Santa visits cancer patient at Northwestern Hospital
- abcnews: Dog thwarts mail delivery for over a year