Man arrested in Northwestern-area robbery
May 13, 2013 (EVANSTON, Ill.) (WLS) -- Evanston police have arrested a robbery suspect following an incident last month near the Northwestern University campus.
The robbery occurred April 20 near the intersection of Foster St. and Sheridan Road. The victim, a 24-year-old Northwestern University graduate student, was walking while talking on his phone when someone grabbed the phone, a Samsung Galaxy 3, from him and ran.
The victim initially attempted to chase down the robber, who then yelled he would shoot the victim.
Police tracked the phone to a cell phone store on the North Side, recovered the phone and got the name of the person who sold the phone to the store.
Police say the victim identified the suspect in a photo lineup. They then arrested Mitchell J. Ratliff, 22, of Chicago's North Side, on Sunday.
Police say Ratliff admitted to the crime and charged with robbery and theft.
- Freezing rain, snow spreads across NW suburbs
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons
- 400 tuba players perform at Palmer House Hilton
- Families of murdered children gather at St. Sabina
- Holiday posada offers health insurance help in Pilsen
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos