CPD takes 2,500 guns off Chicago streets
May 13, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago police say they have now seized more than 2,500 illegal guns so far this year.
Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy joined district commanders in displaying a sampling of the weapons police have taken off the streets in the past few weeks that includes a cache of assault weapons seized during a domestic dispute intervention.
Superintendent McCarthy credits strategic police initiatives for the number of illegal weapons seized and again called for increased penalties against offenders.
- South Korea ferry sinks; 292 missing, at least 3 dead 12 min ago
- Boston bombing remembered 1 year later 29 min ago
- Firefighters, cop among 8 injured in South Side fire
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 1 min ago
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese
- Mother questions why Harvey police shot son
- Man shot in Palos Heights home invasion 48 min ago
- Local runners preparing for Boston Marathon
- Suspect sought in Boystown alley sex assault
- Loop bank robbery suspect arrested
- Drunk driver charged with driving 118 mph on I-55
- Police fatally shoot 'vicious' dog on South Side
- Teen smoking sees dramatic drop in Chicago
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand