CPD takes 2,500 guns off Chicago streets
May 13, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago police say they have now seized more than 2,500 illegal guns so far this year.
Chicago Police Superintendent Garry McCarthy joined district commanders in displaying a sampling of the weapons police have taken off the streets in the past few weeks that includes a cache of assault weapons seized during a domestic dispute intervention.
Superintendent McCarthy credits strategic police initiatives for the number of illegal weapons seized and again called for increased penalties against offenders.
- Carbon monoxide hospitalizes 12 Skokie residents
- Boy, 13, describes Aurora home invasion
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached 10 min ago
- Libertyville man, 66, claims attack by hospital security 43 min ago
- Janet Rowley, U of C cancer research pioneer, dies at 88
- Maine West coach trial gets testimony from ex-soccer player
- Mega Millions drawing leads to $1M ticket in Chicago
- Ga lottery winner claims Mega Millions prize
- Naperville fire kills 2, injures 3
- Cardinal George celebrates 50 years in priesthood
- Illini grad to go for spacewalk on International Space Station
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus