Jury finds Johnny Borizov guilty on all counts in Darien triple murder trial
May 14, 2013 (WHEATON, Ill.) (WLS) -- A jury has found Johnny Borizov guilty on all counts in plotting the 2010 murder of his girlfriend's parents and brother.
Johnny Borizov showed no emotion as he learned he will likely spend the rest of his life in prison.
The DuPage County jurors got the case around 4 p.m. on Tuesday, the same day they heard closing arguments. Less than three hours later, they had a verdict.
DuPage County Assistant States Attorney Bernie Murray told jurors that Borizov used Jacob Nodarse as a "patsy." During the trial, Nodarse testified against his friend, saying Borizov "manipulated" him into carrying out the March 2010 killing of Jeffrey and Lori Kramer, and their son, Michael, 20.
Defense attorneys say they believe a jail house video that shows a conversation between Jacob Nodarse and Johnny Borizov proved too much to overcome.
"We talked to a couple of jurors who said several of them had doubts in the beginning but felt the tape was the most persuasive evidence," said defense attorney Richard Kling.
Borizov's defense argued that Nodarse's testimony is not believable because of Nodarse's drug use and mental illness.
"He was a dope fiend," defense attorney Susana Ortiz said.
During the murder trial, Nodarse said he moved between "reality" and "nightmares" during the murders inside the family's Darien home. Nodarse pleaded guilty but mentally ill to the murder of Jeffrey Kramer.
Borizov was in a bitter custody battle with the Kramer's daughter, Angela, at the time of the murders.
local, john garcia
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub 9 min ago
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns 4 min ago
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 34 min ago
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest 57 min ago
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- Chicago Tribune endorses Bruce Rauner in GOP primary
- College student found dead on Bannockburn campus
- Naperville man attempting to run 56 miles in 56 hours
- Kustok's daughter not called to stand as defense begins
- Signs of spring under blanket of snow
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
34 min ago
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying...
4 min ago
- Festival Fridays
7 min ago