Man shot by police in Avalon Park area
May 15, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago police were involved in a shooting early Wednesday on the city's Southeast Side.
An officer shot a man who allegedly pointed a weapon at him in the Avalon Park neighborhood on East 83rd Street near Stony Island around midnight.Chicago police said in a statement that officers heard shots inthe area and were waved down by people who stated that the vehicle they were riding in was fired at by another vehicle.
When the officers caught up with the vehicle that was described, they say onea suspect got out and ran away, prompting a foot chase.
Meanwhile, another other suspect was confront by officers near the vehicle. Officers shot after they feared for their lives, the statement read.
A weapon was recovered at the scene, according to the statement.
The alleged gunman was taken into police custoy and was in the hospital Wednesday.
Another man also was taken into police custody.
No police officers were injured in the incident.
Chicago police say the Independent Police Review Authority is investigating.
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase 5 min ago
- Brief warmup followed by snow
- Digital assets becoming part of estate planning 50 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 31 min ago
- Former Will Co. jail inmate sues over alleged excessive force 50 min ago
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday
- 11th District Republicans hope to unseat Bill Foster
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese...
- Chicagoan helping to empower college students
- Woodstock man accused in 8 rapes waives jury trial
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1
- Bears agree to 1-year deal with Tillman
- Video: Time-Lapse Video: Snow Melt in Naperville
- abcnews: Cops Seek Bad Witch Who Stole Ruby Red...
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
31 min ago
- CPD officer killed in crash after police...
5 min ago
- Former Will Co. jail inmate sues over...
50 min ago