Bryeon Hunter's family waits for ID on body found in river
May 15, 2013 (NORTH RIVERSIDE, Ill.) (WLS) -- Bryeon Hunter's grandmother is waiting on autopsy results to determine if a body found in the Des Plaines River is the missing boy.
The Maywood boy, 20 months, disappeared last month. His mother, Lakeshia Baker, and her boyfriend, Michael Scott , are charged with his murder.
Police and volunteers, including Robert Larson, have searched for Bryeon's body since his disappearance. On Monday, Larson was in a kayak when he found the body of a small child in the river near 31st Street and 1st Avenue in North Riverside. On Tuesday, he met with Bryeon's grandmother, Brenda Lloyd.
"The main thing was that I wanted to find your grandson," Larson said. "And I found him. And I wanted to bring that closure to you and your family."
Lloyd is waiting on autopsy results to positively identify her grandson and determine a cause of death.
"I appreciate him for what he did and without him my grandbaby would never have been found," Lloyd said.
The toddler disappeared on April 16. Baker initially told police she was attacked by three men and Bryeon was kidnapped. Prosecutors say she later admitted to police that Scott covered the child's mouth with his hand while she beat him with a belt on the bathroom floor, then they dumped his body in the river.
"I was shaking like a leaf when I first found him. I knew what I came across, I knew who he was," Larson said.
Lloyd said doesn't believe her daughter killed Bryeon.
"I'm going to stand by my child. She didn't do it. He did it. He was beating her, he was beating the grandkids, she got the bruises that prove it," Lloyd said.
Baker and Scott are both being held on $750,000 bail. They appeared in court briefly on Tuesday, but their hearing was pushed back until next week because their lawyers could not attend.
- Woman stabbed after leaving Wicker Park nightclub 16 min ago
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults continues 53 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 11 min ago
- Elderly woman dead after fire in Woodstock 54 min ago
- Superintendent reprimanded after DUI arrest 34 min ago
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- Chicago Tribune endorses Bruce Rauner in GOP primary
- College student found dead on Bannockburn campus
- Naperville man attempting to run 56 miles in 56 hours
- Kustok's daughter not called to stand as defense begins
- Elmhurst Armpit Orchestra in St. Patrick's Day parade
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
11 min ago
- Campaign to curb military sex assaults...
53 min ago