Woman charged with punching, dragging officer with car
May 15, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A 38-year-old woman accused of dragging a Chicago police officer from a vehicle while speeding away from a traffic stop Monday night has been charged with attempted first-degree murder, police said.
Catherine Brown, of the 8300-block of South Kerfoot Avenue, was scheduled to make an initial appearance in court Wednesday morning, police said in a statement.
In addition to attempted first-degree murder, Brown was also charged with aggravated battery and several traffic infractions, including driving the wrong way on a one-way street and failing to dim her headlights.
The incident started about 9:10 p.m. in the 8300-block of South Kerfoot, when a Gresham District police pulled over a vehicle for traffic violation, police said on Monday.
When the officer approached the vehicle, Brown hit the officer in the face, grabbed her by the bulletproof vest and then sped off, striking the officer with the vehicle in the process, police said.
The officer, 30, who has been on the force for at least five years, was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries, Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Ron Gaines said shortly after the incident. She was released Tuesday morning and expected to return to work.
"It could have been a lot worse," said Gaines, speaking from Northwestern Hospital on Monday night. About a dozen police cars had escorted the officer's ambulance to the hospital.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- Van driver dies in fiery CTA bus crash, ID'd as Eric West, Jr. 34 min ago
- 2 officers struck by car in West Side alley
- Carla Oglesby, ex-Todd Stroger aide, gets 6.5 years
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast 57 min ago
- Gacy investigation helps ID bones of man missing since 1978 56 min ago
- Chase preceded Roseland bus stop crash that injured 5
- Man arrested after Kilbourn Park standoff with kids, dog
- Maywood man charged in fatal West Side hit-and-run
- Park Ridge pole crash causes power outage
- Chicago Bulls fall to Wizards 101-99 in OT
- 1957 murder convict Jack McCullough files appeal
- Photos: Van driver dies after CTA bus crash in...
- Photos: "That happened how?" Bizarre mix-ups
- abcnews: Officer Caught Tripping Kids at Soccer Game
- ABC 7 to Go April 23, 2014
39 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos