Woman charged with punching, dragging officer with car
May 15, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A 38-year-old woman accused of dragging a Chicago police officer from a vehicle while speeding away from a traffic stop Monday night has been charged with attempted first-degree murder, police said.
Catherine Brown, of the 8300-block of South Kerfoot Avenue, was scheduled to make an initial appearance in court Wednesday morning, police said in a statement.
In addition to attempted first-degree murder, Brown was also charged with aggravated battery and several traffic infractions, including driving the wrong way on a one-way street and failing to dim her headlights.
The incident started about 9:10 p.m. in the 8300-block of South Kerfoot, when a Gresham District police pulled over a vehicle for traffic violation, police said on Monday.
When the officer approached the vehicle, Brown hit the officer in the face, grabbed her by the bulletproof vest and then sped off, striking the officer with the vehicle in the process, police said.
The officer, 30, who has been on the force for at least five years, was taken to Northwestern Memorial Hospital for treatment of non-life threatening injuries, Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Ron Gaines said shortly after the incident. She was released Tuesday morning and expected to return to work.
"It could have been a lot worse," said Gaines, speaking from Northwestern Hospital on Monday night. About a dozen police cars had escorted the officer's ambulance to the hospital.
The Sun-Times Media Wire contributed to this report.
- Chemical plant explosion, fire injures 2 in Alsip 31 min ago
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington Heights 11 min ago
- Mega Millions, Friday the 13th drawing could be winning combo
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Free Mega Millions tickets in Chicago
- Man, 31, pulled from Chicago River near lake
- Blagojevich appeal goes before judges
- Body of missing Lansing man, 40, found in ditch
- 4-year-old boy accidentally shoots himself in Gary
- Man held after boy brings loaded gun to Elgin school 21 min ago
- I-90/94 lanes to close for bridge piers construction
- Mother charged in baby's death held on $250K bond
- Issac 'Ike' Carothers to run for Cook County Board 6 min ago
- Winter weather advisories; snow follows cold
- Chemical plant explosion, fire injures 2 in...
31 min ago
- Gunman dead, officer shot in Arlington...
11 min ago
- Daymond John speaks to ABC7 about Shark Tank
13 min ago