Megachurch volunteer allegedly fondled boy, 8
May 15, 2013 (SOUTH BARRINGTON, Ill.) (WLS) -- A volunteer at a South Barrington megachurch is accused of fondling a boy he was supervising.
Robert Sobczak, 19, of Hoffman Estates is charged with aggravated criminal sexual abuse.
The alleged crime happened February 17 at Willow Creek Community Church.
Prosecutors say Sobczak was supervising children in a program for kids with special needs when he led an 8-year-old boy to an isolated area of the church and fondled him.
Willow Creek officials say Sobczak denies he had inappropriate contact with the child.
"Willow Creek engages in a rigorous screening and training process for all volunteers and staff in our Special Friends Ministry that includes a detailed child protection application process, checking of references, a national background check, cross checking the sex offender registry, and offering training in child protection. Mr. Sobczak had completed and passed this screening process before he began serving with the Special Friends Ministry," church officials wrote in a statement.
Sobczak has been removed from his volunteer responsibilities, according to the statement.
- Police chase in Lincoln Park may have hurt officer 4 min ago
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- Daily Herald: Kid Loses Foot In Train Accident
- Photos: St. Patrick's Day in Chicago
- abcnews: Curious Case of L.A.'s Tattooed Ted Cruz...
- ON DEMAND: St. Patrick's Day Parade
51 min ago