Woman robbed of jewelry, thousands in cash on Michigan Avenue
May 15, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police are keeping a visible presence on Michigan Avenue hours after a woman in her late 60s was mugged by a group of young men right in front of the Saks Fifth Avenue store.
It happened around noontime in the middle of a crowded sidewalk.
Sources say the thieves stole several thousands of dollars in cash as well as jewelry including an expensive diamond brooch.
Authorities say there were as many as ten young men in the group. They reportedly threatened her, but she gave up the valuables and was not hurt.
It is the latest in a series of criminal incidents involving groups of young people on North Michigan Avenue.
In March, police arrested dozens of young men and women who gathered in the area and were allegedly attacking shoppers and police.
local, john garcia
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet 22 min ago
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57
- HS basketball player shines despite disabilty
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Boston Marathon bombing comment no threat to St. Patrick's Day... 28 min ago
- CTA Green Line briefly interrupted
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
- Teacher's aide posed as teen to meet girls online
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Lawmakers say DCFS faces 'horrendous' challenges
- Free small business expo begins in Chicago
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD