Woman robbed of jewelry, thousands in cash on Michigan Avenue
May 15, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Police are keeping a visible presence on Michigan Avenue hours after a woman in her late 60s was mugged by a group of young men right in front of the Saks Fifth Avenue store.
It happened around noontime in the middle of a crowded sidewalk.
Sources say the thieves stole several thousands of dollars in cash as well as jewelry including an expensive diamond brooch.
Authorities say there were as many as ten young men in the group. They reportedly threatened her, but she gave up the valuables and was not hurt.
It is the latest in a series of criminal incidents involving groups of young people on North Michigan Avenue.
In March, police arrested dozens of young men and women who gathered in the area and were allegedly attacking shoppers and police.
local, john garcia
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Chicago art exhibit celebrates food
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Siblings becoming guardians of disabled adults
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders
- 3 injured after Metra train hits vehicle in Des Plaines
- Bolingbrook firefighters, Meijer donate gift cards to kids
- Dominick's stores prepare for final days of business
- Midlothian auto supply store burglarized 3 times in 1 night
- Ahmad's co-defendant pleads guilty in bribery case
- New recreation center to serve South Side neighborhoods
- abcnews: Feds: Woman caught after 36 years on run 59 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos