17 puppies dumped on Indiana road will find homes
May 16, 2013 (VALPARAISO, Ind.) (WLS) -- Seventeen puppies that were picked up on a Porter County, Indiana, road will have new homes.
PAWS Director Jean Summer said more than 70 people applied to adopt the puppies, and all 17 will be placed. Their mother has found a home as well.
The puppies are believed to be about 6 to 8 weeks old, and are a lab, shepherd and possibly Rottweiler mix.
The puppies were put up for adoption at Lakeshore PAWS Saturday. To find out more about adoption, visit lakeshorepaws.org or call (219) 476 PAWS (7297).
Karen Read, who rescued the puppies, said the person who left them sped off as Read approached.
Read gathered the nine puppies and the mother in her SUV and called her husband, who found eight more of the puppies nearby.
They waited until animal control officers arrived to bring them to a Valparaiso shelter.
They appear mostly healthy. Read said she has no idea why someone would dump them in the side of the road. Read and her family already have two dogs, so while they say they are tempted to adopt some of them, they say it's not a good idea.
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysia jet 1 min ago
- Man, 29, dead after ejected from SUV on I-57
- HS basketball player shines despite disabilty 38 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- 'El Chapo' lieutenant wants trial in Chicago
- Gun hidden in sock kills woman at thrift store
- Teacher's aide posed as teen to meet girls online
- CTA Green Line service halted, officials say
- Kennedy reversible lanes closed at times this weekend
- Dog rescue underway at Lake Michigan
- Foreign military mission barred from Crimea
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge 11 min ago
- Cardinal George to undergo more chemotherapy
- abcnews: Family Sickened By Meat Laced with LSD
- HS basketball player shines despite disabilty
38 min ago
- NLEI's Construct Program
44 min ago