Google exec, mayor visit STEM Academy in Ashburn
May 16, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- STEM Academy, a new school in the city's Ashburn neighborhood, focuses on math, science and technology.
Goode STEM Academy could be an avenue to a future in technology for the young men and women who make up the first class of freshmen. On Thursday, Google Executive Eric Schmidt and Rahm Emanuel visited the school, which the mayor hopes will lead to an investment in the city.
"Jobs are unfilled. We're having to get people from outside the country. We are not producing the skills. We have the people but we are not teaching them. The only way to solve that is start early," Schmidt said.
"There is a worldwide talent search going on. And everybody's on that race. And we have to make sure the children of the city of Chicago are well positioned for that race and if they're well positioned, the city of Chicago will be well positioned," Mayor Emanuel said.
Emanuel and Schmidt learned about programming a dice game. The hope is graduates of Goode will be ahead of the game- and would be able to walk into internships or jobs immediately.
"When I saw how you can make cartoons move and everything like that I got more into it and now I do projects on my own without homework or anything like that," Antonio Salagado, student, said.
"I want to build something that nobody has. And if I do build something, it's new. It's something entertaining that other people love," Raven Crump, student, said.
Preparing more young Chicagoans may also address a problem of diversity in tech industries, an industry that needs more women and people of color in order to thrive.
"The analytical skills that they are learning will serve them a lifetime. The future is a lot of data analysis what's going on...all of these industries are being transformed be exactly what these students are being taught," Schmidt said.
local, leah hope
- Man, 20, charged in Boystown sex assault
- Neighbors rescue kids from West Pullman fire
- Chicago casino plans to be heard at Wednesday hearing
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Carl Sandburg H.S. on 'soft lockdown' 5 min ago
- Wicker Park water main break gushes for hours
- Cubs unveil plans for Wrigley's 100th birthday 10 min ago
- Michelle Obama to meet with CPS students in DC 37 min ago
- Amber Creek murder suspect appears at preliminary hearing 27 min ago
- Resurfacing project begins to fill potholes 39 min ago
- Gurnee man sentenced in sex assaults of 2 kids
- Huntley teen charged, allegedly crashed SUV into home
- Truck driver who allegedly molested 11 kids sentenced
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand
- 7 in :77