2 dead in Chicago Heights fire in 200-block of East 24th Street
May 17, 2013 (CHICAGO HEIGHTS, Ill.) (WLS) -- Two people were killed in an early morning house fire in south suburban Chicago Heights.
The state fire marshal and local firefighters were called to the 200-block of East 24th Street Friday morning. Neighbors say two people inside the home were transported by ambulance to local hospitals, where both were pronounced dead. The victims were identified as 47-year-old Lillian Hill Harrison and 43-year-old Lamont Harrison.
"It's a hard thing to swallow," Charles Cowan, father said.
Neighbors said the couple's three adult children and six grandchildren often visited. They were the only two at the home during the fire.
Officials said there were no working smoke detectors in the home. They have not discovered the cause of the fire, but do not expect foul play and have ruled out electrical problems.
"That was the only one I can call; she always been there for me," said Evelena Hill, victim's mother.
Hill-Harrison cared for one of her grandchildren often, while working two jobs.
"It's sad, they are gonna wonder where she at. I don't know what to tell them," said Amber Blum, victim's niece.
Fire officials say the couple was trapped in their upstairs bedroom when a fire ripped through the home. Neighbors heard the commotion and called 911.
"I saw the house was burning, all in flames," said Veronica Munoz, neighbor.
The home is now boarded up. The years of memories the couple created are all that's left.
"It's never a good thing to see or know that this happened," said neighbor Courtney Wilson.
- Cardinal George: 'I expect to get through this'
- Search resumes Sunday for Malaysian jet
- Attempted abduction prompts community alert
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Child starts fire at Batavia apartment
- Mt. Prospect banquet hall closes suddenly
- Chase bank robbed on Northwest Side
- Cubs single-game tickets on sale
- 'Project Youth' provides lessons on teen pregnancy, more
- Bombing comment no threat to parade, police say
- Bill would ban SeaWorld orca shows in California
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea, Ukraine
- Dance marathon for Lurie Children's Hospital
- abcnews: Teens Help Save Man Stuck in Sewer
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos