2 dead in Chicago Heights fire in 200-block of East 24th Street
May 17, 2013 (CHICAGO HEIGHTS, Ill.) (WLS) -- Two people were killed in an early morning house fire in south suburban Chicago Heights.
The state fire marshal and local firefighters were called to the 200-block of East 24th Street Friday morning. Neighbors say two people inside the home were transported by ambulance to local hospitals, where both were pronounced dead. The victims were identified as 47-year-old Lillian Hill Harrison and 43-year-old Lamont Harrison.
"It's a hard thing to swallow," Charles Cowan, father said.
Neighbors said the couple's three adult children and six grandchildren often visited. They were the only two at the home during the fire.
Officials said there were no working smoke detectors in the home. They have not discovered the cause of the fire, but do not expect foul play and have ruled out electrical problems.
"That was the only one I can call; she always been there for me," said Evelena Hill, victim's mother.
Hill-Harrison cared for one of her grandchildren often, while working two jobs.
"It's sad, they are gonna wonder where she at. I don't know what to tell them," said Amber Blum, victim's niece.
Fire officials say the couple was trapped in their upstairs bedroom when a fire ripped through the home. Neighbors heard the commotion and called 911.
"I saw the house was burning, all in flames," said Veronica Munoz, neighbor.
The home is now boarded up. The years of memories the couple created are all that's left.
"It's never a good thing to see or know that this happened," said neighbor Courtney Wilson.
- Park Manor drive-by injures 5 children 42 min ago
- Man in custody in fatal hit-and-run on West Side, police say 28 min ago
- Boston Marathon 2014 winners cross finish line 29 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago shootings: 9 dead, 35 hurt since Friday night
- Man charged in fatal Dan Ryan crash 34 min ago
- 2 officers hurt in Calumet Heights rollover crash
- Teen OK after riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet 25 min ago
- Families' hopes for ferry victims painfully humble 36 min ago
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from Ondelee Perteet
- Florida sinkhole threatens 2 Orlando-area homes
- Rubin Carter dead at 76; boxer 'Hurricane' exonerated in triple...
- Kevin Sharp dead at 43; country singer battled cancer young
- abcnews: Kentucky Inmate Starves to Death 4 min ago
- 7 in :77