Michigan Ave. robbery never happened | Woman, 68, made up Mag Mile mugging, police say
May 17, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Detectives will determine whether a woman who lied about a robbery on Michigan Avenue in Chicago will face charges.
Chicago police said the report was "unfounded" and, according to a statement from officials, "Detectives confronted the victim with inconsistencies between her account of the incident and recovered video, and learned that the story was not true."
Through her door, the 68-year-old woman spoke with ABC7 News.
"I found the jewelry and I must've been very confused. And I'm on medication and something must've triggered this. I must've seen something that triggered this on the Avenue, and I must have gotten frightened. That's all I can say," she said.
Officials said in a statement that detectives will determine if charges are "prudent and would serve a police purpose."
- Bank robber tied to Evanston tobacco shop murders 17 min ago
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway 6 min ago
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago 8 min ago
- Obama: 2014 can be 'breakthrough year' for US 52 min ago
- New Illinois driving laws in 2014 on speed, electronics
- Report: Centrella may buy Dominick's stores 42 min ago
- Man charged in Rogers Park stabbing 42 min ago
- Horse escapes, gallops down Old Town streets
- More Chicago speed cameras to issue real tickets
- Briggs' status still up in air for Bears 16 min ago
- Kanye West opens pop-up store in Chicago 29 min ago
- abcnews: Dramatic Helicopter Rescue Caught on Tape
- Busiest holiday travel days at O'Hare, Midway
6 min ago
- Freezing rain north, west of Chicago
8 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos