Thousands of area debit card users target of phishing calls
May 17, 2013 (NILES, Ill.) (WLS) -- Thousands of Illinois Bank debit card users have been the target of fake phone calls in an attempt to steal vital financial information.
These calls appear to be phishing scams.
That's when scammers try to get your checking, debit or credit card information to steal from your accounts or go on an unauthorized shopping sprees.
The Swidler family got a call at their Niles home recently.
An automated voice saying a problem with their account required giving up their account number.
Saundra picked up.
"I listened to this and thought no no no. This is not for me. Hang up," she said.
"I told her she did the right thing," her husband Eddie Swidler said. "And she is very, very smart-which she is."
The Deputy Chief of Park Ridge Police Department, Lou Jogmen, got three similar calls: to home, his cell and at the police station.
"To inform you that debit card has been temporarily suspended. In order to reactivated it please press one now and you will be transferred to your security department," the calls said.
"They are preying on your fear of having your information stolen yet they're the ones ironically that are trying to do it," Jogmen said.
The assistant director of the Midwest region for the Federal Trade Commission Jeff Kossow says if you think there's a real problem, you make the call to the bank.
"Never give out your bank account or any other information," Kossow said. "If they call you, you don't know who you are talking to."
"Call the customer service number that's on the back of your card or that's on your bank statement so that when you're making the call you know who you are talking to," he said.
Back in Niles, there is much we can learn from the savvy Swidlers.
"By all means don't give out any information on your checking account your credit cards or anything like that," Saundra Swidler said.
local, leah hope
- Park Manor drive-by injures 5 children 37 min ago
- Man in custody in fatal hit-and-run on West Side, police say 23 min ago
- Boston Marathon 2014 winners cross finish line 24 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago shootings: 9 dead, 35 hurt since Friday night
- Man charged in fatal Dan Ryan crash 29 min ago
- 2 officers hurt in Calumet Heights rollover crash
- Teen OK after riding in wheel well of Hawaii jet 20 min ago
- Families' hopes for ferry victims painfully humble 31 min ago
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from Ondelee Perteet
- Florida sinkhole threatens 2 Orlando-area homes
- Rubin Carter dead at 76; boxer 'Hurricane' exonerated in triple...
- Kevin Sharp dead at 43; country singer battled cancer young
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout
- 7 in :77