Matthew Hinson pleads guilty in death of Bears fan William Pettry
May 21, 2013 (JACKSONVILLE, Fla.) (WLS) -- A Florida man accused of fatally stabbing a Bears fan from Lake Villa at a restaurant before last year's Bears-Jaguars game has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder.
A judge will determine whether 28-year-old Matthew Hinson should be sentenced to life in prison.
Hinson entered the change of plea on Tuesday.
Hinson was charged with slashing William "Christopher" Pettry's neck with a pocket knife during a bar fight last October, the night before the game.
Pettry, 42, was visiting Jacksonville to watch the Bears-Jaguars game with a friend who said Hinson had joined them at the table before the stabbing.
Prosecutors had argued that Hinson became jealous when he saw Pettry speak with his wife.
Hinson was scheduled to go to trial on July 22.Pettry left behind a wife and three children.
- No CTA Red Line train service 47th to 95th/Dan Ryan 2 min ago
- Officials try to ID body near missing woman's home 42 min ago
- Chicago weather: Temps fall by end of week 48 min ago
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- 'Blues Brothers' mall chase recreated with... 17 min ago
- Homewood bank robbers hiding in complex, police say 10 min ago
- La Porte County burglary ring busted 10 min ago
- Will County workers reach strike-ending deal
- Ventra progress report shows major improvement
- Illinois pension battle brewing after law passes
- Meningitis at other universities puts NU on alert
- Chicago Dearborn bike lane rated best in America
- Official shaves 40-year-old mustache for cancer awareness
- Cyber Safety Tips During the Holidays
- La Porte County burglary ring busted
10 min ago
- Officials try to ID body near missing...
42 min ago