Matthew Hinson pleads guilty in death of Bears fan William Pettry
May 21, 2013 (JACKSONVILLE, Fla.) (WLS) -- A Florida man accused of fatally stabbing a Bears fan from Lake Villa at a restaurant before last year's Bears-Jaguars game has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder.
A judge will determine whether 28-year-old Matthew Hinson should be sentenced to life in prison.
Hinson entered the change of plea on Tuesday.
Hinson was charged with slashing William "Christopher" Pettry's neck with a pocket knife during a bar fight last October, the night before the game.
Pettry, 42, was visiting Jacksonville to watch the Bears-Jaguars game with a friend who said Hinson had joined them at the table before the stabbing.
Prosecutors had argued that Hinson became jealous when he saw Pettry speak with his wife.
Hinson was scheduled to go to trial on July 22.Pettry left behind a wife and three children.
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying concerns 19 min ago
- Body found near home of woman missing 2 years
- Video: I-Team: Wanted by international police
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Man falls from Wisconsin Dells roller coaster
- 'Shady Bandit' suspected in North Side bank robbery
- College student found dead on Bannockburn campus
- Naperville man attempting to run 56 miles in 56 hours
- Kustok's daughter not called to stand as defense begins
- 1 injured after car collides with school bus in Kenosha
- Jewel-Osco buys 5 former Dominick's stores
- Woman charged after crashing car into Burbank house
- Elmhurst Armpit Orchestra in St. Patrick's Day parade
- abcnews: Family Takes on Critics After Lung Transplant
- Yik Yak disabled in Chicago amid bullying...
19 min ago