Matthew Hinson pleads guilty in death of Bears fan William Pettry
May 21, 2013 (JACKSONVILLE, Fla.) (WLS) -- A Florida man accused of fatally stabbing a Bears fan from Lake Villa at a restaurant before last year's Bears-Jaguars game has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder.
A judge will determine whether 28-year-old Matthew Hinson should be sentenced to life in prison.
Hinson entered the change of plea on Tuesday.
Hinson was charged with slashing William "Christopher" Pettry's neck with a pocket knife during a bar fight last October, the night before the game.
Pettry, 42, was visiting Jacksonville to watch the Bears-Jaguars game with a friend who said Hinson had joined them at the table before the stabbing.
Prosecutors had argued that Hinson became jealous when he saw Pettry speak with his wife.
Hinson was scheduled to go to trial on July 22.Pettry left behind a wife and three children.
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Murder charges in crash that killed officer
- Photos: Comedian David Brenner throughout the years PHOTOS
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Big Wheel Race in West Dundee
- Man falls to ramp leading to Chicago River
- Oprah sells Harpo Studios complex in West Loop
- Body found in Indiana ID'd as missing woman Cathryn McGill
- Chicago archdiocese to release more abuse files
- Chicago targets in terrorist crosshairs, new al Qaeda magazine...
- Former inmate lawsuit alleges excessive force
- 2 arrested in Robbins burglary at site of triple murder
- Malaysian leader: Plane's disappearance deliberate
- abcnews: Missing plane a 'deliberate act,' Malaysia...