Matthew Hinson pleads guilty in death of Bears fan William Pettry
May 21, 2013 (JACKSONVILLE, Fla.) (WLS) -- A Florida man accused of fatally stabbing a Bears fan from Lake Villa at a restaurant before last year's Bears-Jaguars game has pleaded guilty to second-degree murder.
A judge will determine whether 28-year-old Matthew Hinson should be sentenced to life in prison.
Hinson entered the change of plea on Tuesday.
Hinson was charged with slashing William "Christopher" Pettry's neck with a pocket knife during a bar fight last October, the night before the game.
Pettry, 42, was visiting Jacksonville to watch the Bears-Jaguars game with a friend who said Hinson had joined them at the table before the stabbing.
Prosecutors had argued that Hinson became jealous when he saw Pettry speak with his wife.
Hinson was scheduled to go to trial on July 22.Pettry left behind a wife and three children.
- Freezing rain, snow spreads across NW suburbs
- Boy, 11, killed after carjacker crashes into SUV
- Video: ABC 7 Chicago Weather App
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Off-duty sheriff's officer dies in Bellwood shooting
- Flossmoor boy, 15, charged with murdering older brother
- Albany Park youth orchestra broadens students' horizons
- 400 tuba players perform at Palmer House Hilton
- Families of murdered children gather at St. Sabina
- Holiday posada offers health insurance help in Pilsen
- Funeral held for teacher killed in Indiana roadside crash
- Bruce Rauner wins Cook County GOP endorsement
- hAPPy Holidays from ABC7 Chicago
- abcnews: 4 Arrested in Deadly NJ Mall Carjacking
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos