CPS closings numbers compared to other major cities
May 22, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago Public Schools, with 400,000 students, is set to close 50 schools Wednesday. How does that number compare to other major cities with recent closings?
Philadelphia's school district, with 137,000 students, voted in March to close 23 schools, according to our sister station WPVI.
Cleveland closed 16 schools in 2010, according to the Cleveland Plain-Dealer. The district has 55,000 students. It is also the district Barbara Byrd-Bennett led between 1998-2006, according to her biography.
Detroit, between 2009-2010, closed 59 schools, not all at once, under the leadership of Robert Bobb, Emergency Financial manager of Detroit Public Schools, according to the Washington Post. The district has 122,000 students. Byrd-Bennett also worked for that office between 2009-2011, according to her biography.
From 2009 to present, the above districts, with a combined enrollment of approximately 314,000 students, closed or are closing a total of 98 schools.
Chicago Public Schools includes 681 schools for the '12-'13 school year. A closure of 50 would amount to the 7-percent decrease in the total number of schools.
In New York City, the largest school district in the country, 22 schools were voted to close by the city's educational board in March. NYC officials say 142 schools have been shut down or approved for phase-out since 2002 when Mayor Michael Bloomberg came to office, WABC-TV reported. The district serves about 1.1 million students in more than 1,700 schools, the district website says.
The Los Angeles Unified School District includes 1,278 schools, with no anticipated closures for the '13-'14 school year, according the LAUSD website.
- Bitter cold expected to last through the weekend
- Nelson Mandela condolence books open, tribute held
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Northern Illinois Huskies fall to Bowling Green 47-27
- Schaumburg woman missing since October found
- Vigil held for Khaseem Greene's cousin killed in NJ
- Blackhawks championship ring offered in raffle
- Family: Boy, 6, suffers post-traumatic stress after shooting
- Girl, 13, charged in Olympia Fields fatal crash that killed boy
- Barrington leader trying to prevent next tanker tragedy
- 'Heart and Soul' - Saturday, Dec. 7, 6 p.m.
- Photos: Christmas Tree Ship arrives at Navy Pier
- abcnews: Made in America 2013: Gift Ideas