Wilmette twins break Guinness record with 24 sets in 5th grade class
May 22, 2013 (WILMETTE, Ill.) (WLS) -- Twenty-four sets of twins at Highcrest Middle School in Wilmette are thrilled they have broken the Guinness world record for having the most sets of twins in one grade.
"When we found out our school won out of the whole United States it was a big deal for us," said Sidney Gaines, a Highcrest student and twin.
Last December twins Ryan and Luke Novosel were flipping through the Guiness Book of World Records and discovered the current record for twins in one grade was 16 sets at a school in Iowa.
The school discovered another set of twins today in the fifth grade, bringing the total to 24. Parents were required to submit birth certificates, school registrations and a photo that was shot today.
All will be submitted tomorrow to Guinness.
"I would say 9-11 had something to do with it. Parents wanting to start families. Also the advancement of fertility drugs to this segment," said Nancy Fendley, mother of the Novosel twins.
The twins apparently love the attention they are getting, but most of all love just being a twin.
"You can trust them and they help you with your homework sometimes," said twin Evan Prendergast.
"You know what is so special about being a twin is that you have someone by your side," said twin Summer Gaines.
local, theresa gutierrez
- Deep freeze hits Chicago area, snow Sunday
- Nelson Mandela remembrances held in Chicago, around world 47 min ago
- ABC 7 Special: Monday Night Monsters
- ABC7 Weather Forecast 39 min ago
- ComEd vault fire in West Loop
- Bicyclist struck, killed by car on West Side
- New church opens for fast-growing congregation
- 'Peeping Tom' caught watching woman before assault
- Pearl Harbor bombing anniversary marked
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn for $297M
- United Airlines takes Starlight kids on trip to North Pole
- Lakeview runners strip down for 'Santa Speedo Run'
- Video: The Ditka you didn't know
- abcnews: Alleged Cannibal Run Hotel With Grilling Area
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
39 min ago
- Nelson Mandela remembrances held in...
47 min ago