4 injured in wrong-way Chicago Skyway crash
May 23, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Four people were injured in a wrong-way crash on the Chicago Skyway near 85th Street. Officials say the crash shows the importance of wearing a seatbelt.
Police say the driver of the silver car was going the wrong way when it collided with the yellow pick-up truck on Thursday morning. The impact sent the truck into the median, where it flipped.
Everyone survived. The wrong-way driver got two tickets- one for going the wrong way, and one for driving without a valid license.
Traffic was delayed for hours.
Thursday kicks off a busy travel time. According to AAA, 1.6 million people will be on the roads this Memorial Day weekend. Authorities will be out enforcing the seatbelt law, and AAA wants drivers to stay focused on the road.
"The biggest tip we have is seatbelt use, especially during the nighttime. The majority of our fatalities that occur during the night time are those individuals that are not wearing seatbelts. We will be doing seatbelt enforcement zones during the night time, we will be doing DUI enforcement during those hours, specifically over this weekend to make sure everyone makes it to their destination," Capt. Luis Gutierrez, Illinois State Police, said.
"Having to turn around and deal with kids who are fighting could really can take your eyes off the road," Beth Moser, AAA Chicago said.
local, leah hope
- Brutal cold grips Chicago, suburbs 58 min ago
- Man shot to death in Logan Square
- Video: I-Team Thursday at 10
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Baby who died after being left home alone ID'd
- Man arrested in shooting of Garfield Park pharmacist
- Chicago artist created pope's image for Time cover
- Metra UP West train delayed by freight train 31 min ago
- Thousands expected at Our Lady of Guadalupe shrine
- Chicago Skyway reopened after 5 injured in accident
- Renee Fleming, Yo Yo Ma celebrate CPS arts program
- Mariano's to hold 3 job fairs this week in city, suburbs
- Chicago Children's Choir alumni reunite to honor Mandela
- abcnews: 911 calls in Jameis Winston case
- Ugly Christmas sweater store pops up in...
54 min ago