Trump trumps Chicago grandmother in legal battle
May 23, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The 87-year-old woman who took on real estate and media mogul Donald Trump in Chicago lost her civil suit.
"I sued for fraud and that's how I feel about him," Jacqueline Goldberg said. Goldberg's soft-spoken response Thursday afternoon was in sharp contrast to Trump's description of the grandmother.
"It was all rhetoric and nonsense and she should be ashamed of herself," Trump said.
A week's worth of testimony featured Trump claiming Goldberg was playing the age card. She sued, saying Trump's sales team wooed her into buying two condos at $1 million apiece at the Trump International Hotel & Tower in Chicago by promising a share in building profits and then reneged on the offer after she put down her deposit. She wanted $6 million for damages.
"The fact is she made this story up to try to get back her deposit. It's called buyer's remorse. And the one unit she did take, that one went up in value so that one she had no problem with," Trump said.
"I thought he clearly lied because we showed that when he said everyone was happy, and clearly with all the suits going on, they weren't. But we couldn't get that in the evidence," Goldberg said.
The defense argued that Goldberg had signed a contract that allowed Trump to cancel the profit-sharing plan anytime he saw fit.
"Did his celebrity status have anything to do with it? I'm a big believer in the jury system, I really am. I don't think it had anything to do with it. Zero," Shelly Kulwin, Goldberg's attorney, said.
Asked whether she regrets going toe-to-toe with Trump in court, Goldberg said "No." She even sees a small victory in her defeat.
"I do think in one thing I have won something: That is, I think I have exposed him for what he is, and people won't get trapped by him again," Goldberg said.
Trump said that if Goldberg doesn't stop suggesting he is anything but an honest business man, he may sue her for libel.
local, ben bradley
- 4 children injured in S. Side drive-by shooting
- Motorized wheelchair stolen from inspirational teen
- Blackhawks Seabrook suspended 3 games
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Parishioners find inspiration in Cardinal George
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Couple marks 77-year wedding anniversary
- Utica marks 10 years since deadly tornado
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners
- Flowers blooming in Millennium Park's Lurie Garden
- abcnews: Russia 'Outraged' by Deadly Ukraine Shootout