Boy runs away from attempted kidnapper at Bell Elementary in North Center
May 24, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A young boy was approached by a man on the playground at Bell Elementary School in the North Center neighborhood, police said.
According to a police report, the fourth-grader was playing on the playground at the school, located at 3730 North Oakley Avenue, around 3:25 p.m. Wednesday when the man came up to him and said he was there to pick him up because his mother was sleeping. The child, who did not recognize the man, ran away and told adults. The man was spotted leaving the area, walking west on Grace Street.
The man is described as African-American, 5'6", with a thin frame, brown eyes and short hair. He was wearing a blue Cubs baseball cap, jeans and a short-sleeved black shirt with flip-flops.
School officials sent a letter to parents about the incident, "The Chicago Police Department was notified and they are actively working on the case. We have alerted all playground personnel and teachers to report any suspicious or unknown individuals to he office immediately."
"The administration has done a great job as far as education. As soon as it happened, there was a bulletin. I got an email letting us know what happened within a few hours," Steve Paruiccini, parent, said.
The school is encouraging parents to talk to their children about how to respond in a similar situation.
"I've told them to be aware of their surroundings, and run away, just like the boy did," Sue Watt, parent, said. "I'm going to walk them up to the door."
"Any school, really, there's so much activity, I could see how that could happen," Laura Pellikan, parent, said.
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge 43 min ago
- Chicago shootings: 7 dead, 22 hurt since Friday night
- Bad Wolf Coffee offers French caneles
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago man killed in Salt Lake City stabbing
- Man ID'd after fatal crash on Ryan-Skyway ramp
- Woman wanted for Wicker Park bank robbery 51 min ago
- BMO Harris Bank branch in Austin robbed
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- Suburban woman wins $14M verdict in Yasmin case
- YMCA in Naperville gears up for 'Healthy Kids Day'
- Person drowns in kayak accident on Fox River
- Cardinal George presides over Easter vigil mass
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home
- Ready For Spring Planting
45 min ago
- Daily Herald: Aspiring Park Ranger
48 min ago
- Newsviews: I-DOT Road Construction
6 min ago