Chicago Memorial Day Parade honors those who made the ultimate sacrifice
May 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago honored its service men and women during Saturday's Memorial Day festivities.
Many gathered in Daley Plaza to acknowledge the ultimate sacrifice made by those who have died in defense of our country.
Before Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel took part in the traditional wreath-laying.
Emanuel presented mementoes of gratitude to the Gold Star families, those who have lost a loved one to war.
This is very special. It just brings out everything this country really stands for. a very special moment," Brent Johnson, the uncle of 25-year-old Army Lance Corporal Bryant "BJ" Luxmore who was killed in the summer of 2012, said.
Saturday afternoon, ceremony gave way to celebration as the largest annual Memorial Day parade in the country stepped off on State Street with former U.S. Secretary of Defense and CIA Director Leon Panetta as Grand Marshal.
"This is a great city with great history and we're paying tribute to the great heroes that serve this country," Panetta said. The parade featured dozens of military marching bands and floats including ABC7's.
"We always come out to the parade just to honor the people in the military," parade goer Sheila Anderson said. "We wouldn't be here without them."
local, evelyn holmes
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010 murder 12 min ago
- Photos: Farm animals rescued in Kane County
- Flight 370: Missing Malaysia plane search expands 45 min ago
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Chicago Weather: Snow to arrive Tuesday 31 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side shooting 1 min ago
- Blue Line stop reopens after water main break
- Car crashes into building in Belmont Cragin
- Illini grad Mike Hopkins lands after 6 months in space
- $7 million shoplifting suspect due in court, parents jailed
- Netflix subscribers targeted in phishing scam
- Polar plunge raises over $1M for Special Olympics
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- abcnews: Happy Couples Share 6 Common Habits
- Allan Kustok found guilty in wife's 2010...
12 min ago
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami...
16 min ago
- Retired CPD sergeant critical after SE Side...
1 min ago
ABC7Chicago.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos