Jesse Jackson, Rainbow PUSH Coalition criticize CPS elementary school closings
May 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Rainbow PUSH Coalition is denouncing the decision to close 49 Chicago public elementary schools.
A subdued Reverend Jesse Jackson emphasized the importance of speaking out against the school closings in a rational manner in order to affect change.
"People, understandably, are fighting back. They must do so non-violently and with great discipline. Do not get side tracked into name calling and things personal. Focus on the agenda: equal, high quality education for all children," Jackson said.
The school closings coupled with limited access to health care and a lack of jobs hurt Chicago's poorer communities, according to Jackson.
- Snow followed by extreme cold in city, suburbs 11 min ago
- Crews battle large fire in unoccupied Skokie building
- Illinois bids for Boeing plant 10 min ago
- School, Emergency Closings
- Office Depot moving OfficeMax HQ from Naperville to FL
- Groupon founder to donate half his wealth to charity
- Mega Millions winning numbers drawn for $344M
- Store owner shoots, kills alleged robber on SE Side
- Video released of multi-vehicle pile-up near Milwaukee
- Public hearing discusses Ashland bus-only lane
- Lake Zurich lockdowns lifted after reported student with weapons
- Derrick Smith wants case thrown out for being too 'vague'
- Santa visits cancer patient at Northwestern Hospital
- abcnews: Dog thwarts mail delivery for over a year
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
15 min ago