Jesse Jackson, Rainbow PUSH Coalition criticize CPS elementary school closings
May 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Rainbow PUSH Coalition is denouncing the decision to close 49 Chicago public elementary schools.
A subdued Reverend Jesse Jackson emphasized the importance of speaking out against the school closings in a rational manner in order to affect change.
"People, understandably, are fighting back. They must do so non-violently and with great discipline. Do not get side tracked into name calling and things personal. Focus on the agenda: equal, high quality education for all children," Jackson said.
The school closings coupled with limited access to health care and a lack of jobs hurt Chicago's poorer communities, according to Jackson.
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase
- Brief warm-up followed by snow
- Missing plane may have created seismic event, Chinese researchers say
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Cops: Sober man testing vehicle breathalyzer causes crash 53 min ago
- Mundelein girl in court again after half-sister's murder
- Former suburban Dominick's to become Piggly Wiggly
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1 56 min ago
- Cocaine stash found in Aurora man's home
- 2 accused of videotaping abuse at nursing home 31 min ago
- Pi Day celebrated on 3.14 with Chicago specials
- Photos: Chicago police officer killed in crash
- SUV rolls off Jane Addams exit ramp in Rosemont
- abcnews: Cops Seek Bad Witch Who Stole Ruby Red...
- John Hancock observatory to Tilt
57 min ago