Jesse Jackson, Rainbow PUSH Coalition criticize CPS elementary school closings
May 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The Rainbow PUSH Coalition is denouncing the decision to close 49 Chicago public elementary schools.
A subdued Reverend Jesse Jackson emphasized the importance of speaking out against the school closings in a rational manner in order to affect change.
"People, understandably, are fighting back. They must do so non-violently and with great discipline. Do not get side tracked into name calling and things personal. Focus on the agenda: equal, high quality education for all children," Jackson said.
The school closings coupled with limited access to health care and a lack of jobs hurt Chicago's poorer communities, according to Jackson.
- Firefighters, cop among 8 injured in South Side fire
- Priest Michael O'Connell reinstated by archdiocese
- Boston police destroy 2 backpacks at marathon site
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Mother questions why Harvey police shot son
- Man shot in Palos Heights home invasion
- Local runners preparing for Boston Marathon
- Suspect sought in Boystown alley sex assault
- Loop bank robbery suspect arrested
- Drunk driver charged with driving 118 mph on I-55
- Police fatally shoot 'vicious' dog on South Side
- Teen smoking sees dramatic drop in Chicago
- Shedd announces female penguin chick's name
- abcnews: Experts: Pistorius May Have Stumbled on Stand