Step back in time at 'Wild West Town' in McHenry County
May 25, 2013 (UNION, Ill.) (WLS) -- The old west is alive and well in McHenry County where you'll find a theme park called Wild West Town that is dedicated to that period of American history.
Located at Route 20 and South Union Road near the town of Union, the tourist attraction is a family owned business that's been operating since 1974.
"We've been here 39 years and most people who come here from Chicago which is only an hour away, say 'I've never heard of this place'. How is that even possible?" Wild West Town's Randy Donley said.
Donley's father created Wild West Town taking his passion for antiques and developing it into a 25-acre theme park. Unique pieces are spread throughout the property.
There's a carousel from the 1950s, a jail cell dating back to the 1880s that's been a prop in movie productions and a large collection of music boxes and phonographs.
The park is geared toward everyone in the family but several features are favorites of kids and many of them make the most of their wild west experience by dressing the part.
"So often today, kids are centered around computers and modern technology. It's fun for them to get out and be kids again," Donley said.
That enthusiasm is why it's a popular destination for school field trips.
"It's kind of like they're learning but they're out of the classroom," teacher Debbie Dorf said.
"A lot of these students who come here as young as third and fourth graders actually not only end up working here, but they have careers in the film industry becoming stunt people and actors," Donley said.
The park is now open seven days a week until the end of August. Admission is $15.
For more information please visit their website.
local, karen jordan
- CPD officer killed in crash after police chase
- Senate candidate criticized for trip before election
- Brief warmup followed by snow
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Orr Academy basketball player back in game after shooting
- Body found near Ind. river where woman last seen
- Digital assets becoming part of estate planning
- I-Team: Billionaire arrested on Chicago corruption charges
- Con men targeting Mount Greenwood senior citizens
- Former Will Co. jail inmate sues over alleged excessive force
- State Rep. race in SW suburbs heats up
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday
- Ventra system only way to pay by July 1
- abcnews: Chris Brown Arrested for Violating Probation