Jonylah Watkins death: Suspect being questioned in infant's shooting death
May 26, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A suspect is being questioned in the drive-by shooting death of a 6-month-old Chicago girl.
Jonylah Watkins was struck by a bullet in March 2013 as she sat in a minivan with her father in the Woodlawn neighborhood.
With the news of an arrest, Jonylah's parents held hands in silence, while their preacher spoke for them.
"Everyone wished it could be sooner, but we know for a fact that police are diligent and hard working," New Beginnings Church Rev. Corey Brooks said.
Brooks says much of the police work involved daily cooperation with Jonathon Watkins.
Police sources have said the 29-year-old was likely the intended target. Watkins has a lengthy criminal past and was a gang member.
Brooks says if there is any good that has come from Jonylah's death, it's the fact that her father is turning his life around.
"The fact that he is working now, the fact that he is getting a GED all of that stuff was not happening before," Brooks said.
Brooks credits community members for giving Watkins a second chance.
In the meantime, Brooks says Jonylah's dad will continue to do his part to close the case.
- Tanker truck rollover closes eastbound Indiana Toll Road
- Carbon monoxide injures 12 in Skokie
- Video: I-Team Mall Security
- ABC7 Weather Forecast
- Larry Lujack dies at 73, wife says body to be donated
- 3 dead in 3 South Side shootings in 3 hours 8 min ago
- Deal requires removal of Chicago 'petcoke' piles
- Rogers Park stabbing seriously injures woman, 21
- Target: 40M card accounts may be breached
- City triples budget to board up closed CPS schools
- Teen dies day after Little Village shooting
- CTA Blue Line train service resumes
- abcnews: 'Duck Dynasty' Puts Star on Hiatus
- ABC7 To Go 12-19-13
13 min ago