Jonylah Watkins death: Suspect being questioned in infant's shooting death
May 26, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- A suspect is being questioned in the drive-by shooting death of a 6-month-old Chicago girl.
Jonylah Watkins was struck by a bullet in March 2013 as she sat in a minivan with her father in the Woodlawn neighborhood.
With the news of an arrest, Jonylah's parents held hands in silence, while their preacher spoke for them.
"Everyone wished it could be sooner, but we know for a fact that police are diligent and hard working," New Beginnings Church Rev. Corey Brooks said.
Brooks says much of the police work involved daily cooperation with Jonathon Watkins.
Police sources have said the 29-year-old was likely the intended target. Watkins has a lengthy criminal past and was a gang member.
Brooks says if there is any good that has come from Jonylah's death, it's the fact that her father is turning his life around.
"The fact that he is working now, the fact that he is getting a GED all of that stuff was not happening before," Brooks said.
Brooks credits community members for giving Watkins a second chance.
In the meantime, Brooks says Jonylah's dad will continue to do his part to close the case.
- Married couple found dead in Garfield Ridge
- Chicago shootings: 6 dead, 24 hurt since Friday night
- Bad Wolf Coffee offers French caneles
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Police: One dead, one critical after South Lawndale shooting 49 min ago
- Six people shot at Easter party in Montgomery
- Chicago man killed in Salt Lake City stabbing
- Man ID'd after fatal crash on Ryan-Skyway ramp
- Woman wanted for Wicker Park bank robbery
- BMO Harris Bank branch in Austin robbed
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Chris Farley's brother seeks Madison aldermanic seat
- Baby boy found dead in Logan Square gangway
- abcnews: Meth Lab Found in Million-Dollar Home