Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel on cover of TIME magazine
May 30, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel is on the cover of TIME magazine's June 10, 2013, issue, set to hit newsstands on Friday.
Playing off Chicago's basketball team, Emanuel is labeled a "Chicago Bull," and the cover reads, "Mayor Rahm Emanuel is fighting both crime and failing schools. So why are people mad at him?"
Writer David Von Drehle dives into the city's politics, violence, failing schools and financial crisis- and asks Emanuel why the former White House chief of staff left President Barack Obama's administration to run a city so plagued with problems. The photo by Mark Seliger shows Emanuel on a CTA elevated train platform, with a Brown Line train to Kimball behind him.
The magazine hits newsstands as violence continues to plague Chicago, and just a week after the Chicago Board of Education voted to close 50 Chicago Public Schools and programs, prompting lawsuits and outrage from the Chicago Teachers Union, which has threatened to work to oust him in the next election.
- Police chase in Lincoln Park may have hurt officer 1 min ago
- Chicago celebrates St. Patrick's Day 2014
- Suspect in officer's death held on $10 mil bond
- ABC7 First Alert Weather Forecast
- Teen stabbed during Little Village robbery
- Des Plaines Oasis closing for good Sunday night
- Parolee charged in fatal shooting
- Gary man shot, killed at South Side party
- Elmwood Park approves video gambling in restaurants
- Police officer among injured in Elgin crash
- Russia vetoes UN resolution on Crimea's future
- Daily Herald: Kid Loses Foot In Train Accident
- Photos: St. Patrick's Day in Chicago
- abcnews: Curious Case of L.A.'s Tattooed Ted Cruz...
- ON DEMAND: St. Patrick's Day Parade
48 min ago